Did you know that most successful people are big readers? It’s true.
And they read a variety of things — to keep their minds sharp, broaden their perspectives, and increase their knowledge. If you want to be successful in business, I suggest you follow in their footsteps and increase your daily reading, even if only by 30 minutes a day.
Most people think of lounging with a good book or two when they think of summertime. Do you?
Whether it is extra time on vacation or the longer daylight hours after work, summer just lends itself to more time reading. When you walk in the local bookstore you even see tables of “summer reading” suggestions.
Here are some possible areas to pursue:
- To increase your business knowledge pick one or two of the following:
- Scan the Wall Street Journal daily and pick one interesting article to read in full
- Read Entrepreneur, Fast Company or another business magazine
- Read your local business journal to stay current in your local business environment
- Read the business section of your local business paper
- To inspire you and gain insight into the mindset of other successful people read biographies of people you admire, or feel overcame obstacles you relate to. Think current—like Oprah Winfrey, and historical—like Queen Elizabeth I. Reading about how others became hugely successful you start to gain insights into what elements of success look like in real life circumstances—elements a strong desire, concrete plans, courage and persistence.
- To expand your perspective read books about areas outside your field of work. This could be a book about quantum physics, new findings in neuro-science, or even world economics or politics. Play with your interests.